Skip to main content

Music and pheromone use

I was recently listening to songs on my ipod and remembered how everytime I find a song I like, I listen to it repeatedly and after a few number of plays I loose interest in it and forget why I was so crazy about it in the first place. Then I got this email

"Have you been in a relationship that started out with amazing passion? You got butterflies every time you saw the person and wanted to be with them every moment of every day. The connection was electric. But after a few month things started to fizzle. You began to get bored and restless. The fire has faded to a spark.

Or have you ever moved to a new and breathtakingly beautiful place? The first few months you lived there you were awed each day by the scenery. Just going out to get the mail was an opportunity to gaze with wonder into the distance. But as the years go by those once breathtaking surroundings become just the ordinary background of your day to day life.

Remember the last time you bought a CD that you were completely blown away by? You listened to the songs over and over again; they stirred something inside you. But after a few months you could listen without really even noticing it was on. And eventually you got a bit tired of it and put a new CD in rotation.

What is the common thread in all of these situations? They all show the way in which our brains quickly become accustomed to stimulation. While at first our senses are acutely tuned in to the input they are receiving, they fast become acclimated to the stimuli. The stimuli lose the ability to wow us and give us pleasure. We become numb to it. At this point most people reach for something new to experience those fresh feelings anew."


Even with pheromone use I notice a similar feeling in myself and people around me. Others have reported this often as well. With repeated use of the same mix I find that the targets get accustomed and stop reacting unless I take a break. But, unless the break is very long the reaction is still subdued on subsequent exposures and not like the first time.

Rotating the mixes is an interesting solution but one problem I find with this approach is that I rarely find the same person reacting equally enthusiastically to all mixes. For example there are some people who react extremely well to MX203 but show no reaction whatsoever to MX101, while others show responses to MX101 but are non responsive to MX203. So if you rotate the mixes you lose responses from some people but gain responses from others.

Now even if you had a SET of mixes for each group of people you still run into the same problem. I find this very similar to the following example with songs. I will sometimes download three songs which I really like and then play them in rotation. I find that although it takes a little longer for me to loose interest in them this way I still get bored with all three of them after a while and stop appreciating them.

Can we ever truly solve the problem of our target's brains getting accustomed to our pheromone signature? Is there any stimuli to which brain reacts in the same way no matter how many times it has been exposed to it?

I am thinking we should look into stimuli like hunger and sleep. The brain responds pretty strongly no matter how many times it has been exposed to these. So it would seem that the stimuli tied to survival are the ones that remain fresh. I am not sure if fear is one of those stimuli, since some people can get pretty blase about a fearful situtation if they have been exposed to it multiple number of times. Although fear from a different source can provide a fresh reaction.

Can these be somehow triggered by pheromones? If we keep those pheromones as part of a complex mix would we be able to elicit fresh pheromone reactions on every use? Since every human reacts to survival stimuli would we see everyone reacting to every mix containing these pheromones?

Comments