Skip to main content

Attraction across races: female opinions

As far as Asian guys go, generally, I had to grow up some before I was attracted to nerdy science types which was a good segment of the Korean/Chinese/Japanese/Indian guys I went to high school with [small sample in rural MA] so it may have been that I used to be one of those "I don't date Asian guys" girls, but no longer! Also, since I have seen Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle and that HothotHOT picture of Anil Dash in the NYTimes, I have Indian men on the brain.

I'm a white woman married to a white man, but I've dated hrrmmm.... black, korean, japanese and indian dudes. But until recently, being a reasonably non-outgoing sort of person, I tended to wait to be hit on. Meaning that mainly I dated white guys and black guys. I don't know why, but the asian guys I dated were ones that I pursued.

I am biased in a way. I'm biased towards the tall, witty, quietly funny, intelligent type. (Now I'm married to a 6'7" guy...so obviously that was pretty attractive to me.) Either a square, clean shaven jaw or any kind of jaw with a beard. I like confident, very kind guys. No pick-up lines and I'm not a fan of overeagerness. Accents are a huge plus. And they have to like my dog. Race unimportant.However, back when I was single, my crushes on guys of other races were unrequited. I'm not sure if they weren't attracted to me or just didn't pick up on my signals. We always seemed to dance around each other but nothing ever came of things. Once, I had an enormous magnetic attraction to a fascinating, intelligent Indian man who seemed to be attracted to me...but our age difference was a bit extreme. That was the closest I ever came to actually dating someone from another race, but it wasn't for a lack of trying. :) Some of the sexiest actors, in my opinion? Rodrigo Santoro, Winston Chao, Chow Yun Fat, Naveen Andrews (with beard), Kal Pen--all sexy.Seriously, don't give up. Dating is just one of those experiences where you do get shot down a lot. That's just part of it. And if an attractive white girl makes lots of conversation about her interests and seems intrigued by what you're interested in? Please take a chance and ask her if she'd like to go to that restaurant/see that movie/hear that band/try that sport sometime. Without requiring that it be a"date", necessarily.

I'm a Korean woman, and I date exclusively non-asian men. I grew up in a ethnically mixed environment, but I think my preference for non-asian men is that I enjoy contrast. I like to date non asian tall guys who are very different both in personality and appearance from me.

Although I have only dated white guys (I'm a white gal), I have to say that I find men of different races attractive and would definitely date one given the opportunity. Since I'm in a stable relationship this is unlikely to happen anytime soon but you never know!
White girl here, dated one Asian man and made eyes at hundreds more... without getting anywhere, even to a flirt stage. I've often guessed that there's some cultural difference getting in the way: maybe the Asian guys aren't noticing the looks I give them the way other guys would? Or they're not returning the looks in a way that I can recognize as a connection? It's always been mysterious to me, because I've heard anecdotally that Asian guys feel that fewer girls are attracted to them, and for years there I was saying, "Pick me!" and couldn't get a bite.

I'm a white chick, and I find some people of other races attractive, but perhaps not as high a percentage as I find attractive amongst white people. I don't prefer another race over white people - something that tends to give off creepy fetish vibes, even if its neither creepy nor fetishistic - but I don't prefer white people to the exclusion of all others, either.

My boyfriend is about as blonde and blue-eyed as they come, but I've always been as attracted to Asian, African-American, just-plain-African, etc guys as I am to white guys. My best friend in high school, though, was shocked to find out I was madly in love with a man from Ghana. She thought it was disgusting. I told her to fuck off. I have noticed, however, that it seems like more white guys date asian girls than white girls date asian guys. I don't know why this is - I always had crushes on asian guys in high school.

I find men from all races attractive, the characteristics I'm most attracted to in a man aren't physical. However, if I assume someone won't be attracted to me I won't make an effort and I guess I tend to cross off Asian men. Writing it down now that sounds really stupid, I'm not even sure where that comes from. Because I'm tall, maybe? That's what I get for not examining my assumptions.A friend of mine, who is white, invented the acronym HAD (for "hot asian dude") and it's been commonly used amongst my friends for the past ten years. If none of us are dating Asian men, it's not for a lack of interest. Another point that I wanted to clarify is this concept of the "Hot Asian Dude' that cali brought up. It wasn't totally clear in my original post, but I find that the "Hot Asian Dude" usually tends to be some variation on a guy who would probably just be a "Hot Dude" in general, a Takeshi Kaneshiro or Andy Lau. But I feel that there's more leeway given for "hotness" if someone's from your own race i.e. a white girl describing a guy as average who is from her own race, that to by all accounts is a pretty average looking guy, but who, perhaps by not being attuned to the physical traits of another race, finds an average guy from another race "ugly". Hope that clarified and didn't just obfuscate my point even more.

I'm Asian (raised in a white family) and date mostly white men, probably because of cultural similarities. Then again, I was married to a (mostly) black Jamaican for 8 years (we were cultural polar opposites). I never dated an Asian man but I think the main reason is because I don't meet many.To me, hot is hot.

To answer the question, I tend to prefer white boys. I would guess its because (a) I grew up with white people, and am so culturally white that I am called an Oreo with astonishing frequency; (b) I like the contrast pale skin makes against my brown; (c) I am an unashamed height-ist; (d) I really like red hair.A key part of (a) is that it means white guys hit on me "correctly." With two exceptions, the black guys who have asked me out have done the whole macho "hey baby" thing and that is gross. (I went on dates with the two exceptions.) Then again, a lot of white guys do that too, but maybe I have just been hit on by more white guys because my social circle is always mostly white with a few mixed race kids. Another possibility is that I am more attractive to nonwhite (mostly black and Hispanic) men. So the white guys who hit on me aren't the dick types because those are more interested in the skinny blonde ideal, which is not me.So I wouldn't avoid dating someone because of his race. I might not want to have kids with a blonde because of the whole green hair thing though.

Comments